White Stork, Japanese White Stork
- English Common Name
- White Stork, Japanese White Stork
- Scientific name
- Ciconia boyciana
- Order: Ciconiiformes, Family: Ciconiidae
- About 120 cm
- Species Distribution
- Southern Russian Far East to Northeastern China. In rare occasion, some get lost during migration (straggler) and come to Japan.
- National Natural Monument
- National Endangered Species
- Okinawa Red List of Threatened Species: Critically Endangered
- Japan Red List of Threatened Species: Critically Endangered
- This species used to inhabit all of Japan in the past. Overhunting and pesticides use from Meiji era resulted in extinction of specimens hatched naturally in Japan. Hyogo Park of the Oriental White Park in Toyooka, Hyogo has been working on artificial breeding and releasing birds for the purpose of conservation and breeding the species. In winter 2016, an individual that had left Hyoko Park of the Oriental White Park was observed in Okinawa.
Ciconia boyciana is listed as National Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora as well as National Natural Monument of Japan. Please refer to the Act on Conservation of Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, and Japan’s Law for the Protection of Cultural Properties.
- Updated May 2018
back to "Movies of Okinawa creatures" page