- English Common Name
- Purple Heron
- Scientific name
- Ardea purpurea manilensis
- Order: Pelecaniformes, Family: Ardeidae
- About 79 cm
- Species Distribution
- In Okinawa prefecture, the species is found in Ikema, Iriomote and Miyako Islands as a resident bird. The species flies to other islands in Japan as a vagrant.
- Okinawan Common Name
- Okinawa Red List of Threatened Species:Vulnerable
- This species maintains a wary eye toward humans, and prefers areas such as wide wetlands and forests around ponds and swamps where people rarely visit. From Hokkaido to Okinawa prefecture, this species comes as a migratory bird. The number of the bird coming to Okinawa prefecture is not large, but the area is an important for the species as a stopover or wintering place. This species does not come to coasts nor tidal flats.
- Updated February 2019
back to "Movies of Okinawa creatures" page